Thursday, January 3, 2013

Today in Cambodia

This will be a short post as I am getting tired... I need a nap. Woke up between 3:30 and 4AM this morning. This morning as I puttered around the kitchen making breakfast and tea before 7AM I brought some wash out to the balcony off the kitchen where the washer is located. As I was opening the glass door a little baby Gecko or Jing-jah was looking at me from the glass. I carefully opened the door. They are so cute. Well as I stood there starting up the wash funeral music started up down the road. The first time I heard it, the awful mournfull wail of the funeral music was back in 1996, soon after we had arrived and were staying with family of a Cambodian/Chinese friend of ours who was from Houston Texas. A funeral came by the house and on the first truck that carried the coffin of the person who passed away was the man's wife and she was beyond herself. She kept throwing herself on top of the coffin, crying, clawing at herself. Women from her family trying in vain to stop her, trying to protect her from herself. So whenever I hear funeral music that sound conjures up those images... Tomorrow Siem Reap and Angkor Wat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment